Export Control: International Travel


When taken outside of the United States, university property such as commodities, software, and technology (hereafter called items) may be subject to export licensing under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) or regulations by other government agencies. Many items such as laptops, tablets, cell phones and PDA’s containing commercial software, may be temporarily exported as “tools of trade” under the export license exception TMP.

“Tools of Trade” can be simply defined as items that are used for university business, conferences, trade shows, etc. The temporary exception only applies to university property. Please complete the form below listing all of the university items you plan to temporarily export. For any encryption items, please contact our office prior to your travel so that we can review the level of encryption and determine the proper registration requirements